Re: Has anyone seen this? Openoffice 2.4.1 disappears after its splash screen

[ Please try to wrap your lines at 72-80 characters. ]

On Sun, Jul 13, 2008 at 10:47:40 -0400, AJ Milne wrote:
> ... no errors in the console if I run it from there instead.
>
> Particulars: I'm running lenny, x86_64 binaries, the 2.6.24 kernel,
> and KDE. I tried installing the KDE integration package, uninstalling
> the whole thing, reinstalling (twice), got the same symptoms. Running
> from the KDE launcher or the console, I get the same thing. Running
> calc or writer, same thing. Splash screen appears, progress bar zips
> to full, then nothing. Tried removing the user settings after
> reinstall (~/.openoffice.org2), same thing.
>
> Apologies if this has been covered somewhere; I searched, didn't see it.
>
> Helpful information even if you *haven't* seen this: does OpenOffice
> log its errors somewhere? I haven't been able to find them. The only
> logging in /var/log/* appears to be from
> installs/uninstalls/reinstalls.

You can have a look at ~/.xsession-errors, but I am not too optimistic
about this since you do not even get any error message when you start
the program directly from the command line.

It may help to use strace on the program like this:

strace -f -o oo-strace.txt ooffice

This will log all system calls in the file oo-strace.txt. The strace
file will be too long to be posted here, but maybe you can upload it
somewhere so that we can have a look. If that is not possible then you
can post the just end of the file, the last 50 lines or something like
that. (run "tail -n50 oo-strace.txt")

          Florian   |