Re: apt upgrade to testing breaks?

Andrei Popescu wrote:
On Fri,11.Jul.08, 18:26:32, Peet Grobler wrote:

[...]

sparky:~# cat /etc/apt/sources.list
# TENET mirror
deb http://debian.mirror.ac.za/debian/ etch main contrib non-free
deb http://debian.mirror.ac.za/debian/ testing main contrib non-free

# Official debian repository
deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/ etch main contrib non-free
deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib non-free

Why do you use two mirrors (especially ftp.debian.org, which used to be horribly outdated)?

I'm not sure if the mirror (mirror.ac.za) is up to date at all times, seemed like a good idea. I've not hit it on any upgrades though, so should be safe to remove.

# Official security updates
deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib non-free

# WineHQ - Debian etch repository
deb http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt etch main

# swiftfox
deb http://getswiftfox.com/builds/debian unstable non-free
sparky:~#

As already said, it's safer to remove third-party repos.

I need wine :) I've done the upgrade though, without it - I'll add the testing repo later and try and get it back.

sparky:~# apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  dbus-1-utils fglrx-kernel-2.6.25-1.7 fglrx-kernel-2.6.25-1.8 gimp

Where did you get those two packages? Are you using a 2.6.25 kernel?

Yes, 2.6.25 kernel. Needed some features not in the older kernel on stable. Those two packages are the proprietary ATI drivers.

--
Peet Grobler
peet@hivemind.net