Re: OT: Does grub-install overwrite the MBR?

Javier Vasquez wrote:
Hi,

I'm wondering whether grub-install actually overwrites the MBR or not.
 If not then that's what I'm looking for, :).  If so, how can it be
performed without touching the MBR?  Is there a difference between
grub2 and grub-legacy in this regard?

Grub-install is just a script.
The actual MBR installation is done with:

grub> root (hd0,0) (Specify where your /boot partition resides)
grub> setup (hd0) (Install GRUB in the MBR)
grub> quit (Exit the GRUB shell)

acc. to http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/installation/57244-grub-mbr.html

and if you check the script at line 529 it does just that.

Who knows about grub2 since grub-legacu works quite well.

More interesting, why would you want to install grub without touching the MBR which is its claim to fame?

Hugo