Re: apt-get install without starting?

Daniel Burrows wrote:
On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 09:21:46PM -0700, David Barrett <dbarrett@quinthar.com> was heard to say:
Mumia W.. wrote:
On 07/11/2008 07:26 PM, David Barrett wrote:
Is there any way to "apt-get install ssh" without having it automatically start sshd? Same for "lighttpd".

Basically, I'm making great progress in my bootable QEMU image script:

I don't know of a way, but you can firewall-off the ssh port before you install, and you can configure ssh to not start by running update-rc.d.

Ug. That's unfortunate. My primary reason for not wanting it to start is actually for a different reason than security: I don't know a general way to determine which packages start up processes that need stopping, nor how to stop them.

Essentially, I'm writing a script to generate ready-to-deploy bootable qemu images, One of the inputs of the script is a list of packages to install. This works fantastic, with the key exception that some of those packages (ssh and lighttpd, specifically) start up running processes. These processes need to be stopped before I can dismount the raw image and zip it up for instant future deployment.

  I've never used it myself, but I believe that invoke-rc.d was supposed
to solve this sort of problem.  (I don't know much more than that, but
it looks like the manpage might have pointers)

Aha, that looks very promising.  Thanks!

-david