ABA's Brain Explorer

Hey all,

I am trying to get Brain Explorer to work under debian etch kernel
2.6.18-5-686 plus wine 1.0 taken from the wine.sourceforge.net/apt/
repos within the last 24 hours. Brain Explorer is Windows/Mac-only and
is provided freely here:

http://www.brain-map.org/BrainExplorer/InstallBrainExplorer.exe
^ it's a 21 MB download for the installer. The installer works
correctly.

There's been reports on appdb.winehq.org suggesting it works:
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=application&iId=4490
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=6835&iTestingId=8789
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=7676&iTestingId=11049

Brain Explorer works under wine versions 0.9.29, 0.9.34, and 0.9.47
according to appdb. Under 1.0 there seems to be an odd bug that I can't
isolate or verbalize for that matter, so here's a screenshot:

http://heybryan.org/shots/2008-07-10_wine_brainbow_fail.png

So, Brain Builder works, and really only in wine virtual desktop mode
(set at 800x600 in the screenshot), but when it does work here, the
viewport for the brain is clearly to the left and completely outside of
the virtual desktop window that wine is running on. When I move the
window left/right, the viewport to the left of the window 'follows'
(not completely smoothly). Moving the window within the wine virtual
desktop window, the Brain Explorer window itself, does not change the
position of the erroneously blitten viewport. Clicking within the Brain
Explorer window on the buttons in the viewport still works. Clicking on
the buttons as they are displayed on the erroneously blitten viewport
just clicks to the apps underneath on the other layers accessible via
the typical ALT+TAB setup. There's all sorts of graphical issues with
dragging the window around, even when not in wine virtual desktop mode
the ABA Brain Explorer window has issues keeping 'clean' and free of
parts of the bitmaps of the other windows. When not in virtual desktop
mode, the 'viewport' is no where on either of my two screens. Maybe the
two screens are influencing things? Here's how I am configuring them:

xrandr --output LVDS --mode 1440x900 --output VGA-0 --mode
1024x768 --right-of LVDS

I doubt that's the issue. How can I go about tracking down the bug or
fix to that is causing the viewport error? I looked into running
winedbg, which seems to be a step-based approach to debugging but
couldn't see how to make it work in this context.  I asked around in
#winehq and #debian on freenode but didn't get an eyebrow, so my next
stop (I'm guessing) should be the wine's bugzilla setup.

Thank you,
- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/
Engineers: http://heybryan.org/exp.html
irc.freenode.net #hplusroadmap
"Genius is the ability to escape the human condition;
Humanity is the need to escape." -- Q. Uim