Re: apt upgrade to testing breaks?

On 07/11/2008 11:26 AM, Peet Grobler wrote:
I'd like to upgrade my etch notebook to testing, simply to have newer
packages available. This machine is not visible on the internet, and I'm
the only user, so security is not such a huge issue. Attempting to do
this though - apt says it'll uninstall certain packages (which I use!)

That's normal.

I'm not sure if I can go ahead and do the dist-upgrade, and just install
the packages again after. I don't want to try this and have to
re-install the notebook from scratch again (it's quite a hassle getting
everything working)

Any advice appreciated. sources.list and output from apt-get dist-upgrade:

sparky:~# cat /etc/apt/sources.list
# TENET mirror
deb http://debian.mirror.ac.za/debian/ etch main contrib non-free
deb http://debian.mirror.ac.za/debian/ testing main contrib non-free

# Official debian repository
deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/ etch main contrib non-free
deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib non-free

# Official security updates
deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib non-free

Remove any non-Debian repositories from your sources.list; also remove any packages from non-Debian repositories before you upgrade.

# WineHQ - Debian etch repository
deb http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt etch main

# swiftfox
deb http://getswiftfox.com/builds/debian unstable non-free
sparky:~#

sparky:~# apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done [...]

It's perfectly normal to have lots of packages removed during a big dist-upgrade, but the non-Debian packages are likely to conflict with the Debian ones in complex ways, so it's safest for them to be removed before the upgrade. If those other software sources have created packages for Lenny, you'll be able to reinstall the removed packages.

After you've removed WineHQ and swiftfox from sources.list, do "apt-get update." You should then be able to go into "aptitude" and find the non-Debian packages under "Obsolete and locally-generated packages." Remove everything that's there.

It should then be safe to upgrade to testing.