Re: Fwd: Circumvention of DRM and TPM

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 22:30:42 +0100
"Sam Kuper" <sam.kuper@uclmail.net> wrote:

Hello Sam,

> Do you have any evidence that this is really the case, and that the

News reports, things said by musicians, a father that worked as a song
plugger and later, and A&R man, and so forth.  In fact, my father wrote
a book about the music industry and the way songs/music were promoted
at that time and just how underhand it all was.  Does the term 'payola'
mean anything to you?

Admittedly, this was/is all in the UK, but there's no reason to suppose
it's different anywhere else.

Things have been cleaned up somewhat since my father's day, but there
are still ways of skewing the charts, etc.

> monies are not disbursed via collections agencies or suchlike? I'm

How would they know who to distribute it to?  As I said, with no way of
knowing what was being recorded  on those CDs, tapes, etc. with a levy
applied, the only "fair" distribution is to pay the record companies
and publishers based on numbers of units shifted.

Record companies, music publishers and so forth, are like any other
business;  They're in it for profit first, anything else is secondary.

--
 Regards  _

Bet you thought you knew what I was about
Problem - Sex Pistols