Missing Edgeport USB driver in recent kernels

I hope someone can shed some light on my situation...assistance will be greatly appreciated. Nice to see a lot of helpful old timers still on this discussion list -- your help in the past has been appreciated.

I recently reinstalled Debian Lenny on my computer (long story, don't ask) and in the process updated the kernel (previously 2.6.18) to 2.6.22. I discovered last week that my Edgeport/8 USB to RS232 box no longer works under Debian (but still works under Win2k). Investigating, I found the io_edgeport.ko driver missing from 2.6.22 and even 2.6.25-2-686 on the Debian package web pages. It apparently appeared last in kernel 2.6.18.

Why was this driver left out from the newer kernels?

I do find the source files for io_edgeport.c and io_edgeport.h under the /lib/modules/2.6.22-3-686/kernel/drivers/usb/serial/ directory.

uname -a output:
Linux kali 2.6.22-3-686 #1 SMP Sun Feb 10 20:20:49 UTC 2008 i686 GNU/Linux

Is my best bet to try to recompile the kernel to include this driver? Last time I tried that route a few years back, I had nothing but grief -- but I am bracing myself to try again if necessary. (I *am* adventurous, but really don't have that much time right now for new adventures!)

Advice?  Information?

Regards,
Don