Re: heaps possible of conf/multimedia/codec/xorg troubles [resolved]

heres how i fixed it.

-after checking the 'Xorg.0.log' log one thing i noticed was a warning
that direct rendering hadn't loaded which is strange as i'd made sure
it was running when i started playing around yesterday. it may have
been from me changing the ati (fglrx) driver from 8.6 to 8.4 and
something being left behind.

-completely removed all debian-multimedia (just made sure there was
nothing left from returning to testing), gstreamer, ati, totem, vlc
and mplayer packages. as well as anything else i didn't like the look
of also removing config files.

-reinstalled gstreamer, totem, vlc and made sure there was no ati
package. (as i decided to try radeonhd)

-ran dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg to get a new xorg.conf and let X
decide what driver to use.

#reboot

-checked Xorg.0.log and while i didn't care about direct rendering the
xserver had found my ati card and choosen the radeonhd driver as i'd
deleted all the ati drivers to make sure it was chosen

thumbnails seem okay. totem-xine will play everything again which
rocks as well as no crashing. vlc and totem-gstreamer are still giving
me problems but the fact that i can play every type of video i have
without crashing x means it's solved.

so woo,  think this would probably be an xorg.conf issue and possibly
a few broken packages.
thanks for pointing me to the xorg log or i would have been stuck. ;)

i'll try the official ati driver again and see if that changes
anything but thanks again for you help.