Re: How to create qemu-bootable image using debootstrap?

On Mon, Jul 07, 2008 at 01:18:22AM -0700, David Barrett wrote:
> Andrei Popescu wrote:
>>> No, I'm just going to use it as a QEMU image.  It'll stay virtual,
>>> but it'll need to boot all the same.  Unless there's some way to get
>>> it to boot without grub?
>>
>> If I recall correctly, qemu can boot a linux kernel directly so you
>> *probably* don't need grub.
>
> Aha!  I completely forgot about those options.  This works great:
>
> sudo qemu -kernel-kqemu -kernel newtest.mount/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-6-486
> -append "root=/dev/hda1 ro" -initrd
> newtest.mount/boot/initrd.img-2.6.18-6-486 newtest.raw
>
> It makes the command line a bit awkward, but does the trick.  This is
> great workaround, thanks!
>
> That said, if possible, I'd still like to get grub installed to make it
> self-contained and boot up like normal (else I need to update all the
> startup scripts to be aware of the exact kernel version).

can you not use the grub floppy disk image and just cat it into the
boot sector?

Another idea: write a script to install grub from a chroot,
copy that script into the image, and then chroot in and run that
script from your other script.

or: make a barebones image with grub installed by some other
non-automated method and then use that bare image as the starting
point for your script, eliminating the dd step.

just .02