Re: alsaconf says "No supported PnP or PCI card found"

On Monday 07 July 2008 17:15:07 Chris Lale wrote:
> Luc Saffre wrote:
> [...]
>
> >   # lspci | grep Audio
> >   00:05.0 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP61 High \
> >      Definition Audio (rev 2a)
>
> Do you have built-in sound /and/ a plug-in sound card? grep may have missed
> a second device. Try using "lspci | grep audio" (lowercase "a") or
> inspecting the full output of lspci [1].
>
> Do you need to enable on-board sound in the BIOS?
>
> If you have got an old sound card you could plug in, see whether alsaconf
> detects that.
>
> I believe that alsaconf used to have some problems in Etch. You could try
> running the Lenny or Sid Debian Live CD to see whether up-to-date Debian
> recognises your chip. [2]
>
> [1]
> http://newbiedoc.berlios.de/wiki/Sound_in_Debian_GNU/Linux#Choose_and_confi
>gure_a_card [2] http://debian-live.alioth.debian.org/
>
> --
> Chris.

I installed some time ago a MCP61 on etch. First time, it was not 'out of the
box', needed to had a line in alsa.conf. But later alsa drivers was updated
and the sound carte was installable with alsaconf without any problem. This
was about a year ago. So it should still work now. Sorry I can give more
explanation, I dont have that MB any longer. But it is at a friend place, and
I can eventually go there and have a look, but not today, maybe tomorrow....