Re: alsaconf says "No supported PnP or PCI card found"

On Monday 07 July 2008 12:19, Luc Saffre wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I just bought a desktop PC with a GeForce6100SM-M mainboard whose
> NVIDIA MCP61S chipset is "High Definition Audio Specification 1.0
> compliant". I installed the latest stable Debian (2.6.18-6-486),
> everything worked well so far... except that there is no sound.
>
> alsaconf says "No supported PnP or PCI card found"
<big snip>
> Luc

Hi Luc. I've just recently built a new machine with an Asus M2N-X Plus mobo,
which has Geforce 6100, and MCP61 southbridge. I havn't got Etch installed
on, but sound is working ok with Kubuntu Gutsy Gibbon, Archlinux "Don't
Panic", and Fedora 8. One thing to check is that the Azalia codec is set to
"auto" in the BIOS, and not disabled.

It could also be that the alsa driver, alsa-utils, and alsa-lib arn't recent
enough on your Etch install. I've got Etch on a different machine, and no
problems with sound, but that's with an Audigy2 soundblaster card, but
according to cat /proc/asound/version the alsa driver is only 1.0.12rc1.

My Kubuntu GG install, where sound works has version 1.0.15 (still a bit old),
and that's with a 2.6.22-15-generic (SMP) kernel.

Just a couple of thoughts.

Nigel.