Re: How to create qemu-bootable image using debootstrap?

Joey Hess wrote:
David Barrett wrote:
Following up on my previous post: I've figured out some of the steps, but I'm stuck on installing Grub. Do you know how to install grub on a raw device file?

You may be able to get grub-install to work using the --grub-mkdevicemap
option and a dummied up device map that points to the disk image.

Ah, this sounds good -- can you give me any more detail on this? I'm not finding anything particularly good with my own searches. I've read the wiki page:

	http://wiki.debian.org/Grub/grub-mkdevicemap.manpage

But I'm not quite sure where to go next. You see the script I'm working on; can you propose a next step?

If it helps, I can copy /boot/grub/device.map from a working/bootable QEMU image. But I don't know what to do with it. Can you offer me any suggestions?

echo "Creating 1GB file of zeros in $1.raw"
dd if=/dev/zero of=$1.raw bs=1024 count=1048576

But wouldn't it be easier to stop here and run:

qemu -cdrom mini.iso -hda $1.raw -boot c

(Downloading an appropriate d-i mini.iso or other iso first.)

Heh, what fun would that be!

-david