Re: How to add a mount point in fstab?

On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 11:03 AM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:

> On 07/06/08 19:46, hce wrote:

>> Is this your only internal (including optical) SATA drive?  Maybe
>> your CD/DVD drive is IDE?
>>
>>> I am not clear the internal hardware structure, it is an Acer ASPIRE
>>> 5920 laptop.
>
> This should help:
>
> $ lspci | grep AHCI
>
> A little Googling shows that it has a SATA HDD.

Please see following lspci:
/sbin/lspci | grep AHCI

00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM
(ICH8M/ICH8M-E) SATA AHCI Controller (rev 03)

00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801HBM/HEM
(ICH8M/ICH8M-E) SATA AHCI Controller (rev 03) (prog-if 01 [AHCI 1.0])
        Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Unknown device 0121
        Flags: bus master, 66MHz, medium devsel, latency 0, IRQ 58
        I/O ports at 1c00 [size=8]
        I/O ports at 18d4 [size=4]
        I/O ports at 18d8 [size=8]
        I/O ports at 18d0 [size=4]
        I/O ports at 18e0 [size=32]
        Memory at f0704000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=2K]
        Capabilities: [80] Message Signalled Interrupts: 64bit-
Queue=0/2 Enable+
        Capabilities: [a8] #12 [0010]

>>> I added a line of "/dev/sda6  /hom/project/work ext3
>>> defaults,noauto,user=project 0 0" to the fstab, but it was actually
>>> not working, there was an error of "bad line in fstab" during boot
>>> (the user is project). Was it the problem as you concerned that kernel
>>> could not see it?
>
> See it?  No.  But, rather, that Linux does not "hard code" SCSI
> devices.  So, if you have multiple SATA, USB or FireWire devices,
> what today is sda might, the next time you boot, be sdb.
>
> Of course course, if you only have 1 SATA device, this all becomes moot.

Not sure above indicated 1 SATA device?

Was the error of the "/dev/sda6 /hom/project/work ext3
defaults,noauto,user=project 0 0" syntax error, or the /dev/sda6 of 1
SATA device?

Thank you.

Jim