Re: broken system after srm -r -d /tmp/.* (user login and several services not working)

On 03/07/2008 Sven Joachim wrote:
> > But I discovered something really strange. If I compare the output of
> > 'ls -al /' on my system and in the chroot, several directory sizes seem
> > to be different. I thought that directorys always have a size of
> > 4069 bytes, but apparently this is not the case:
>
> The size of directories is a multiple of the inode size, at least in
> ext2/3 filesystems (might be different in reiserfs, I'm no expert).  If
> a directory has many entries, its size grows and will not shrink back if
> you delete these entries.  Since your system has been in use for several
> years, the differences are not so strange.

Ah, that explains the differences. thanks for the information.

> > (on system) # ls -al /
> > total 113
> > drwx------  24 root root  4096 2008-07-03 18:51 .
> > drwx------  24 root root  4096 2008-07-03 18:51 ..
> > [...]
>
> Now to the failing su (and login) for non-root users:  Have a close look
> at the first lines of your directory listing and tell me if you see
> anything strange. ;-)
>
> I bet that after "chmod 755 /" you will be able to log in as a normal
> user again and your services will start to function. :-)

Yay, that's it! Everything works as expected again. Thanks a lot!!!

I don't know why I didn't find it earlier myself.

thanks for all your help, you rock!

greetings,
 jonas