Re: DNS agent for dynamic IP addresses

On Wed, Jul 02, 2008 at 11:49:40AM -0500, John Hasler wrote:
> Carl Fink writes:
> > I prefer to host my own DNS on my own server...
>
> Resolvers contact nameservers by IP number (how else?).  If your IP is
> dynamic how will anyone know the IP number of your nameserver?

I have a server, nitpicking.com aka finknetwork.com.  I ALSO have a desktop
and a laptop computer, both of which I'd like to assign domain names to.

The server has a fixed address.  The desktop has a pretty darn fixed address
that hasn't changed in years, but is not guaranteed to remain the same.

The laptop moves from network to network, as you might expect.

> > Does anyone know of a similar agent that pairs with a daemon I can run on
> > my DNS server, to track the IP address of my own laptop and desktop boxes
> > and point subdomain1.finknetwork.com and subdomain2.finknetwork.com to
> > them?
>
> That daemon would have to have a static ip.  If you have access to a host
> with a static IP why not run the nameserver on it?

As above.
--
Carl Fink                           nitpicking@nitpicking.com

Read my blog at blog.nitpicking.com.  Reviews!  Observations!