Re: debug boot script

El mié, 02-07-2008 a las 16:43 +0800, ray escribió:
> I want to debug an init cript in /etc/rcS.d That script outputs some
> messages using echo, so the messages should be printed to the stdout.
> I guess the redirect mechanism provided by shell is supposed to work
> in order to grab these messages into a file. To verify it, I created a
> test script in /etc/rcS.d, writing the content as below:
> echo "hello" > /tmp/message
> But when I boot up the system, nothing happened. Can somebody give me
> any hint?

At what point in the bootup process was the script set to run? If it's
run before the mountall script, /tmp was probably not mounted yet
(assuming it's in a separate partition).

Also, there's a script that cleans up /tmp and /var/tmp; make sure
you're not running before that one either.

You could try sending the output somewhere else as well. /var/log comes
to mind.

--
Gabriel Parrondo
GNU/Linux User #404138

"The only difference between theory and practice is that, in theory,
there's no difference between theory and practice."