Re: Linux-image-2.6.25 won't boot - target filesystem error -SOLVED

On 02 Jul 2008, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> On 02 Jul 2008, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 02, 2008 at 08:46:53AM +0100, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> >
> > > Sorry, I hadn't read the e2label line properly. But I don't think it
> > > would affect the issue I encountered here, which was a change in the
> > > actual partition referred to. The label would still be referring to
> > > the wrong partition. Still, now that I know this can happen I will not
> > > be caught by it in the future.
> >
> > Would you mind posting "fdisk -l" for both kernels (or just tell us if
> > there is a difference). I'm guessing your problem is elsewhere and
> > labels would help avoid it.
> >

> They are identical.

As an experiment, I tried changing root=/dev/hdb9 to root=/dev/hdb10 for
the previous kernel (2.6.23) and that booted as well! So it looks as if
the earlier kernel could use either setting but the later one only
accepts /dev/hdb10.

Is grub perhaps more flexible about this than I thought?

Anthony

--
Anthony Campbell - ac@acampbell.org.uk
and sceptical articles)