RE: Update manager replacement?

>On my current Lenny machine, I have something that appears to
>be the Gnome update manager running; I regularly get an orange
>box that pops up on my panel that tells me what packages can
>be updated, and it handles the updating.
>
>On a new Lenny install, this is not present. I do have
>something under System > Administration > Software Sources
>that lets me choose how often it should check for updates, but
>these don't actually seem to be displayed anywhere.  So I have
>to use the Synaptic Package Manager manually.
>
>Am I missing something, or is there a way to get the older
>functionality back?

That's because it doesn't exist in Lenny at the moment.
http://packages.debian.org/unstable/gnome/update-manager

If you look on your other Lenny install, in synaptic, the update manager
will be listed in the "obsolete" package list.

>From my understanding there was a fairly large problem due to the way
Ubuntu and Debian differ in handling packages and it was causing many
problems for people using Debian*. So it got yanked. It is in Sid and it
will be back, but for the time being it isn't there.

Hope that helps.
Have fun!
~Stack~

* I don't know the details about it, I just saw the posting about a week
ago and thought "huh that's interesting" and went on my way. Sorry for
not keeping the link. I will look for it again and if I find it, I will
post back.