Diagnosing non-working trackpoint button

Hi,

Im running Lenny on a ThinkPad T60. I got the computer from a friend and dont know if
this worked on it beforehand.

The middle mouse button doesnt work in X--just no response at all to try to paste things.
I shut off the trackpad in the BIOS (I only use the clitmouse and it's buttons) but i dont see
any BIOS settings about this.

How can i figure out why this isnt working? For all i know it could be a hardware problem,
but maybe theres something in my X configuration about it? I didnt touch the X configuration
myself, its what the installer generated.

Thanks!

Jen