Re: Silly mistake in X config renders screen useless

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 2:28 PM, Nyizsnyik Ferenc <nyizsa@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 14:15:18 -0500
> "Bryan Bishop" <kanzure@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hey all,
> >
> > I was playing around with a dual monitor setup last night and found
> > myself editing the X configuration in an attempt to have both the
> > laptop's LCD and the CRT functioning at the same time from the ATI
> > card in the Gateway M675. Somehow I made a mistake. I know there's a
> > backup configuration file (an xorg conf program said so) in
> > /etc/X11/xorg.conf.20080629 or something. The laptop will boot up, all
> > the way to the startx initiliazation, and then hang, and then the fans
> > start screaming like crazy and I can't CTRL+ALT+DEL or (CTRL)+ALT+Fx.
> > So that's not good. I was trying to CTRL+C and CTRL+X out ouf the
> > bootup script level when it got to the point when it was just about to
> > do startx, but this didn't stop gdm from running.
>
> At the grub screen, press 'e' and then again after selecting the kernel
> line. Append 'single' to the parameter list and press Enter then 'b' to
> boot your system. You should get a line asking for your root password,
> then a shell prompt. Now you may do whatever you would like to.

That worked well. Now I'm finding that the old configuration isn't
working either. It's telling me that "ati" is not a valid driver. I've
ran apt-get install xorg-xserver-ati-video successfully, but this
hasn't solved the problem. X is telling me that there are no screens.
How did debian originally configure my screen? Running
dpkg-reconfigure -plow xserver-xorg doesn't even ask me questions
about the screen, and the xorg.conf that it generates sends the fans
into the "screamo mode" and the machine into lockdown. Any more hints?

- Bryan
http://heybryan.org/