Re: ath5k anyone?

David Goodenough <david.goodenough@btconnect.com> writes:

> As he is running 2.6.25 there is no need to run module-assistant, as
> ath5k is build into the kernel. So the problem is not building it,
> but rather using it.

Hi David,

Correct on all counts. Yes, ath5k is built into 2.6.25 so it should
"just work." And I've been building madwifi-source with m-a and using
it for years.

A recent change in either madwifi or the kernel has caused my wireless
connections to drop periodically which is what prompted me to
investigate ath5k, especially since new development has switched from
madwifi to ath5k.

Also note that I did associate with the AP, but just couldn't set up a
network connection as shown below.

Another reader suggested that my network parameters were missing a
broadcast address, but a default broadcast address is provided, and
adding an explicit address didn't change things.

However Pavel Roskin thought that it might be a WEP issue. Sure
enough, when I disabled WEP, my network came up! So it appears that
ath5k has WEP issues with my device.