Re: GNOME and auto-"using" DVDs and CDs

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 21:31:40 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> How can I tell GNOME (up-to-date Sid) not to manage optical drives,
> while still auto-mounting USB & Firewire drives?  (I can't think of
> what search terms to Google for...)

If it is not possible to configure this in Gnome (I do not know anything
about that) then you can try to enforce this policy at the HAL level.
The file /etc/hal/fdi/policy/preferences.fdi has an example for using
the storage.automount_enabled_hint policy, but it is commented out by
default. If gnome-volume-manager honors this policy (as is claimed in
the comments in preferences.fdi) then something like this should work to
turn off automounting for a give device (here /dev/scd0):

<device>
  <match key="block.device" string="/dev/scd0">
      <merge key="storage.automount_enabled_hint" type="bool">false</merge>
  </match>
</device>

After restarting HAL you should see that the policy has been changed:

$ lshal -u $(hal-find-by-property --key block.device --string '/dev/scd0') | grep automount
  storage.automount_enabled_hint = false  (bool)

          Florian   |