Re: [OT] the limits of googling

On 29/06/2008, James Youngman <jay@gnu.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 2:59 PM, Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> wrote:
>  > Hi,
>  >
>  > Google searching is (still?) primitive.
>  >
>  > I would like to know the answer to a simple question:
>  >
>  > What are the most recent laptops that run Linux *and* have a working analog
>  > (RJ-11) modem installed?
>  >
>  > Listed by highest price first.
>  >
>  > Hugo
>  >
>  > PS All the searching I have done lead me to believe that they don't exist.
>  > But how do you prove that with Google?
>

> Not strictly an answer to your question, but the Linux Emporium sell a
>  proper hardware modem in a PCMCIA card, which should work with most
>  laptops I'd guess.
>

>  James.

Hey,

Again sidestepping the actual question:

I had this same issue when they started phasing out RS232 ports from
laptops, the solution for me was to use a usb adapter. I believe the
same solution may apply here. Staying with the google theme there are
results such as these:
http://www.google.com/products?&q=usb+56K+modem+linux

Though it then becomes yet another dongle to carry around...

cheers,
Owen.