Re: Advice for troubleshooting X (total screen loss) -- Newb Alert

On 27 Jun., 19:30, "Jeff Soules" <sou...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
Hi!

> After install, I attempt to start X using startx.  A few lines of text flash
> on the screen, then it blacks out and the system buzzer gives me one
> short beep.  I cannot alt-Fx to any other terminal and lose the terminal
> I'm working in, and have to restart with ctrl-alt-del.

Sorry, can not help you with your original problem. But I wanted to
suggest not using ctr-alt-del in such
cases. Try using Magic SysRq: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key
They suggest a different sequence than I use (alt+print+ s e i u b.
Mnemonic: "So, everything is unusual: Boot")
but doing so, a loss of data is not so probable.

So whenever you really have no control over your system anymore, try
those keys.

hth
memnon