Re: Open Source Video Codec and Container (alternative to Xvid)

On 06/28/2008 08:28 PM, Jochen Schulz wrote:
Why do you convert in the first place? Re-encoding files with a lossy
codec can only degrade their quality, no matter what bitrate you are
using.

I know that re-encoding degrades the quality. But my eyes don't see the
difference :-)

I already described in other posting that I am not a fanboy of Adobe's
proprietary products, pricing policy, etc

AFAIK the only "real open source format" is Ogg Theora. Which codec
yields the best quality depends a little bit on the bitrate you are
using. H.264 is generally a good choice, though. You can use ffmpeg
(from debian-multimedia.org) for this, too.

How accepted is Ogg Theora in Non-Geek environments? Are the most
desktop and devics (Game Consoles, DVR, etc) users by default able to
play Ogg Theora?

cheers
Simon