Re: Open Source Video Codec and Container (alternative to Xvid)

> $ mencoder example.flv -ovc xvid -xvidencopts bitrate=1000:autoaspect
> -vf pp=lb -oac mp3lame -lameopts fast:preset=standard -o example.avi

> 1) Its very generic command line to convert videos. What would you
> improve?
What's improve? Only the file size or also the quality?

> The size is much bigger than the original FLV :(
Sure! U do the coding at 1000kb/s
I remember that flv files (from youtube) are about 550Kb/s

try: ffmpeg -i file.flv to view the code

and try something like: ffmpeg -i source.flv -b 500k -vcodec mpeg4 -vtag
divx -acodec mp3 -ar 8000k -ab 64k destination.avi

and check size/quality

> 2) Is there a real open source format what I should prefer? Can you say
> something about its quality?
Consider: are your file done for internet stream or local stream? and choose
what you prefer :-)

> 3) Whats the most painless format for exchanging videos with Win, Mac
> and Linux users?
mhmh.. xvid/divx/mp3/ogg

Pol