Setting up an IMAP server

I would like to set up an IMAP server. Dovecot looks easiest by Courier is
also possible.

Presnet setup:

fetchmail -->exim4 -->procmail---> var/mail/user --> kmail, filters
---> /home/user/Mail folders.

This would probably be OK if I stay logged into KDE. I might prefer not to
always keep KDE running, however, so would want exim4/procmail to take care
of the local delivery AND the filtering. The filtering sorts mail from
certain mailing lists, i.e. this one, into individual folders. Stuff with
spamassassin or clamav hits also goes to specific folders for inspection and
deletion.

Then, kmail locally and outlook at work would go through IMAP.

How do I go about this?