Re: Mailbox conversion

Jan Willem Stumpel:

> After all this smalltalk, my real question: I still have lots of
> old e-mail in Microsoft format (with names like in-2005.dbx,
> out-2006.dbx, etc; some filenames are in Japanese, and the
> messages inside the .dbx files are mostly Japanese). I searched
> the web for "converting dbx to mbox". Found lots of answers, most
> of them seem old, and they do not agree. Is there a "canonical"
> way to make .dbx mail archives available to Linux Thunderbird/Icedove?

The easiest and most reliable way is to set up a local IMAP server (I
recommend dovecot, it's really easy for simple set ups), create a new
IMAP account in Outlook and move the mails to the IMAP server. After
that you can access the mails from every client supporting IMAP (which
is probably every client worth using in the first place).

I don't know how to import the old dbx files into another, existing
Outlook installation, though.

J.
--
I'm being paid to act weirdly.