Re: Total confusion with aptitude. Help, please!

Hi, Daniel!

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 09:14:10PM -0700, Daniel Burrows wrote:

> > >   Well, my first Debian installation was from a pile of floppies,
> > >   so I'm not going to be able to comment intelligently on how hard
> > >   or easy today's process is.

> > :-)  That appears somewhat evasive.

> Only in the sense that I don't want to get into a pointless
> argu^H^H^H^Hdiscussion about the totally subjective question of whether
> installing Debian is "hard" for two different people with different
> skills and requirements (namely you and me), especially when I don't
> work on the installation system and I can't fix any of your problems
> for you.

OK, fair enough!

> Moreover, it's been ten years since I installed Debian for the first
> time and I don't trust my memory to tell me precisely what the
> conditions were at the time or how long it took me.  A few things I do
> remember having trouble with, like getting basic access to email (which
> required configuring an MTA), getting X working, and getting a printer
> hooked up, are so easy nowadays that it's barely worth remarking on
> them.

These all caused me moderate or severe pain with sarge in 2006.  Maybe
it's only the first debian installation anybody does which is so hard.  I
hope so!

Anyhow, it seems time to finish this thread, now.  Thanks for all the
comments.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).