Re: usb hub with fluxbox

Mark Grieveson <dg135@torfree.net>:
>  Hello.  I recently got a USB hub with four ports.  While I can plug a
>  storage device, or a digital camera, into it, and read these devices
>  separately, it seems that I cannot mount and read them at the same time
>  (IE, view images from the digital camera, while simultaneously viewing
>  files on the USB storage device).

It'd help to know what software you're running.  In many wm's, wizards
watch devices and pop up running what they decide is the most
appropriate application.  Depending on whether you'd like to list the
contents of a media or play that media, it may or may not do what you
want at the time.

You can ignore/disable them and do it manually for more control (and
possibly less confusion).

>  Anyway, all suggestions are appreciated.
>
>  PS, I tried dmesg, and I don't understand what it's saying.  It gives a
>  bunch of information, and reports various errors.  See an edited
>  version of it below:
>
>  usb usb1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
>  hub 1-0:1.0: USB hub found
>  hub 1-0:1.0: 2 ports detected
>  usb 1-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2

I believe that means USB 1.0 (slow).  ehci is 2.0?

>  drivers/usb/class/usblp.c: usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 2 if 0
>  alt 0 pr oto 2 vid 0x03F0 pid 0x3A02
>  usbcore: registered new driver usblp
>  drivers/usb/class/usblp.c: v0.13: USB Printer Device Class driver

There's your USB connected printer.

>  usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 3
>  usb 1-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
>  hub 1-1:1.0: USB hub found
>  hub 1-1:1.0: 4 ports detected
>  usb 1-1.3: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 4

There's the hub.

>  usb 1-1.3: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
>  usbcore: registered new driver usbserial
>  drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for
>  generic usbcore: registered new driver usbserial_generic
>  drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial Driver core
>  drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for

Eh?  What's serial?  :-)

>  Handspring Vi sor / Palm OS
>  drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered for Sony
>  Clie 3.5 drivers/usb/serial/usb-serial.c: USB Serial support registered
>  for Sony Clie 5.0 visor 1-1.3:1.0: Handspring Visor / Palm OS converter
>  detected usb 1-1.3: Handspring Visor / Palm OS converter now attached
>  to ttyUSB0 usb 1-1.3: Handspring Visor / Palm OS converter now attached
>  to ttyUSB1 usbcore: registered new driver visor

There's your PDA.

>  drivers/usb/serial/visor.c: USB HandSpring Visor / Palm OS driver
>  usb 1-1.3: USB disconnect, address 4
>  usb 1-1.2: USB disconnect, address 5
>  usb 1-1.1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 6
>  usb 1-1.1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
>  scsi1 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
>  usb-storage: device found at 6
>  usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
>    Vendor: USB 2.0   Model: Storage Device    Rev: 0100
>    Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 00
>  usb-storage: device scan complete
>  usb 1-1.2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 7

Your camera.  fdisk -l /dev/sd[a-z]

>  usb 1-1.2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
>  scsi2 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
>  usb-storage: device found at 7
>  usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
>    Vendor: HP        Model: USB CAMERA        Rev: 1.00
>    Type:   Direct-Access                      ANSI SCSI revision: 00
>  usb 1-1.2: USB disconnect, address 7
>  usb 1-1.3: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 8
>  usb 1-1.3: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
>  visor 1-1.3:1.0: Handspring Visor / Palm OS converter detected
>  usb 1-1.3: Handspring Visor / Palm OS converter now attached to ttyUSB0
>  usb 1-1.3: Handspring Visor / Palm OS converter now attached to ttyUSB1

Check out /dev/ttyUSB[01]?

>  usb 1-1.3: USB disconnect, address 8
>  visor ttyUSB0: Handspring Visor / Palm OS converter now disconnected
>  from ttyUSB 0
>  visor ttyUSB1: Handspring Visor / Palm OS converter now disconnected
>  from ttyUSB 1
>  visor 1-1.3:1.0: device disconnected
>  usb 1-1.2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 9
>  usb 1-1.2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
>  scsi3 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
>  usb-storage: device found at 9
>  usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
>  usb-storage: device scan complete
>  Buffer I/O error on device sdb1, logical block 1947
>  attempt to access beyond end of device
>  sdb: rw=0, want=15616, limit=15537
>  Buffer I/O error on device sdb1, logical block 1947

/dev/sdb1?  "mkdir /mnt/sdb1 && mount -t auto /dev/sdb1 /mnt/sdb1 &&
ls -AlF /mnt/sdb1"

>  attempt to access beyond end of device

That sounds ugly.