Re: debian installer

Daniel Dalton wrote:
Hi,

I downloaded the debian lenny cd1 installer from here, it was a 600 mb
iso.
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/weekly-builds/i386/iso-cd/
Does this cd ever download packages from the internet? Like when I
choose desktop, laptop and standard computer and it needs to fetch 800
files, does it connect to the internet at all?
I just want to be sure so I don't use up people's internet.

Cheers,

Yes it can (but it doesn't have to). It will configure the network, and download security updates, but you can defer the security updates, or even defer configuring the network. You will want the security updates eventually. Lenny does not have as timely security updates as Etch, but it does have them. They are important, especially if you machine faces the net. (I apologize for stating the obvious, but sometimes we need to be reminded.)

Alas, Debian sometimes refers to copying files from the disc as "downloading", so it is unclear from the information you gave which it means, getting from the disc or getting from the internet. You could just try it, and abort and start over if it becomes clear it is from the net. (I have that issue, my internet is EVDO wireless, and Verizon has a cap. 5GB is "unlimited" by their definition of "unlimited".)

Mark Allums