boot kernel raid + lvm + lilo

Hi all,
I compiled the latest kernel (2.6.25.7 SMP x86_64) from kernel.org and installed it. I ran lilo. (I am basically forced to use lilo since grub never managed to boot from root partition located of mdadm + lvm partition). With the new kernel the mdadm cannot find its hard drives and the booting ands in (initramfs) mode. Looking in /dev I also cannot see my sd* disks. The first error messages look like:

<snip>
Begin: Mounting root file system... ...
Begin: Running /scripts/local-top ...
Begin: Loading MD modules ...
md: raid1 personality registered for level 1
Success: loaded module raid1
Done.
Begin: Assembling all MD arrays ...
md: md0 stopped.
Failure: failed to assemble all arrays.
Done.
Begin: Executing udevtrigger again ...
Done.
device-mapper: ioctl: 4.13.0-ioctl (2007-10-18) initialized: dm-devil@redhat.com
Done.
Begin: Running /scripts/local-premount ...
Done.
mount: No such device
Begin: Running /scripts/local-bottom ...
Done.
Done.
Begin: Running /scripts/init-bottom ...
mount: No such file or directory
mount: No such file or directory
Target file system doesn't have /sbin/init
No init found. Try passing init= bootarg.

BusyBox v1.10.2 (Debian 1:1.10.2-1) built-in shell (ash)
Enter 'help' for alist of built-in commands

/bin/sh: can't access tty; job control off
(initramfs)

I have no idea where to start debugging from. I think that the problem is more about the kernel, not about the mdadm. I suppose I somehow did not comiped in the kernel something needed for finding the sATA devices, but I used the default kernel configuration and I was thinking that this should work. Morover, I cannot boot the LinuxOLD image (which was working perfectly before), since it
ends in a kernel panic message.

Any idea on how to boot this machine and bring back in a working condition is welcome.

 Cheers,
 Ivan