Re: New version of fglrx broke my system

El vie, 20-06-2008 a las 19:29 +0200, Jonathan Kaye escribió:
> Gabriel Parrondo wrote:
>

> > I've been googling for hours trying to figure out how to solve this
> > problem that arised from the last upgrade:
> >
> > I use lenny and the fglrx driver. With the last upgrade all fglrx
> > packages were upgraded from version 8.4.1 to 8.5.1. As with every fglrx
> > upgrade, I used m-a to rebuild the kernel modules.
> >
> > After that, "Switching user" from gnome (GDM) crashed the system to the
> > point that not even sysrq would work.
> > Other procedures, such as stopping gdm and starting it again had the
> > same results (restarting it didn't).
> >
> > The worst part is that there's nothing in the logs, it just crashes the
> > whole system silently.
> >
> > I tried the following stuff with no success:
> > - Purging every fglrx package, reinstall and rebuild modules.
> > - Disabling composite in xorg.conf.
> > - Building xorg.conf from scratch (with fglrx-control)
> > - Use the vesa driver: This actually solved the Switch User problem, but
> > created a lot of others.
> >
> > My video card is an ATI Radeon HD2400 (which means that, until the
> > radeonhd driver is ready, I have to stick with fglrx).
> >

> > Anyway, I just downgraded to 8.4.1 and am able to switch users again
> > (with some limitations, but that's another story). If anyone has any
> > clue on what the problem could be, please let me know.
> >

> > Thanks!
> >

> Hi Gabriel,
> I'm also using Lenny and have an ATI Radeon 9550 graphics card. I use the
> proprietary drivers from the ATI website. A couple of days ago I downloaded
> version 8.6 of the ATI installer. I unpacked the fglrx debs from that using
> the --buildpkg switch and installed them and then ran m-a to build and
> install the module (I had removed the old one first). It installed with no
> problem and after rebooting (yes, I have to do this; starting and stopping
> the the Xserver doesn't get the new driver working correctly) everything
> has been working fine.
>
> I'm a bit confused about version 8.5.1 of the driver. The one I installed
> was released about 2 days ago and (according to Catalyst) I have version
> 8.50.3 of the driver installed. Where did you download the driver from?

From the non-free debian repositories. Now that you mention it, checking
in the catalyst control center, I haver version 8.47.3.

gabriel@matrix:~$ apt-cache policy fglrx-driver
fglrx-driver:
  Instalados: 1:8-4-1
  Candidato: 1:8-5-1
  Tabla de versión:
     1:8-5-1 0
        500 http://ftp.us.debian.org lenny/non-free Packages
 *** 1:8-4-1 0
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

--
Gabriel Parrondo
GNU/Linux User #404138

"The only difference between theory and practice is that, in theory,
there's no difference between theory and practice."