Re: mixing unstable with testing just for nvidia: good practices?

H.S. wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Yesterday I made the jump and put in unstable sources in sources.list in
> on testing machine solely to get nvidia working again in Testing (what
> is wrong with testing regarding nvidia anyway?).
>
> I have this for my policy:
> $> cat /etc/apt/apt.conf
> APT::Authentication::TrustCDROM "true";
> Acquire::::Proxy "false";
> APT::Default-Release "testing";
>

> Is this good enough for an "aptitude update" and "aptitude safe-upgrade"
> such that only those package will be pulled from Unstable which are
> necessary for nvidia related packages? Or should I now just remove the
> unstable sources' repos from my sources.list file?
>
> Recommendations and advice on what is the sensible way to proceed in
> this are welcome.
>
> thanks,
> ->HS
Hi HS,
I am also running Lenny with some Sid mixed in (but mostly Lenny). I don't
even have a /etc/apt/apt.conf file on my system. I do my "mixing" in the
following way. I have a file called /etc/apt/preferences which looks like
this:
Package: *
Pin: release o=Debian,a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 600

Package: *
Pin: release o=Debian,a=testing
Pin-Priority: 650

I also have both Lenny and Sid sources in my sources.list file. If I don't
do anything special then I get the Lenny version of a package (unless that
particular package was already unstable by an earlier choice). To get the
unstable version I do this:
#aptitude -t unstable install <name of package>
This is called "pinning", I believe.
Works for me.
Cheers,
Jonathan