configuring shell autologin

First of all, why: this is for a single-user laptop with an encrypted hard
drive. If someone gets past the initial passkey, they have all of my respect
as well as my data. I'm trying to cut down on the amount of typing I have to
do at startup (currently, between the hdd, the login, setting up wireless and
unlocking the keyring that stores my e-mail/web passwords, I type 4
passwords/-keys).

I have so far tried two autologin solutions: rungetty, and this script (named
as /sbin/autologin):
  #!/bin/bash
  exec 0</dev/$1 1>/dev/$1 2>&1
  cat /etc/issue
  shift
  exec $*

I have setup tty1 to use these scripts for autologin, and get the same error
message with both. Here are the inittab lines I used for each of the two:
  1:2345:respawn:/sbin/rungetty tty1 --autologin lee
and
  1:2345:respawn:/sbin/autologin tty1 login -f lee

In both cases, the response I get is that the terminal is respawning too
frequently, and the terminal is locked for five minutes. I don't understand
the getty applications well enough to figure out what to do next.

What am I missing? :)

--
Lee Glidewell           | PGP key: D5D686A7
lee.glidewell@gmail.com |