Re: [SOLVED] Mysql fails to install after "aptitude purge mysql-server --purge-unused"

--- On Thu, 6/19/08, Florian Kulzer

> Maybe you can recreate the /etc/mysql/conf.d/ directory and
> the installation will be successful.

That was one of the first things I tried but it didn't work out, it leads to more problems.

> If that does not work then run
>
> dpkg -S etc/mysql
>
> to find out which packages on your system should have files

That was a brilliant suggestion. I knew about "dpkg -S" but somehow I assumed that everything related to mysql-server was removed when I purged it. Not so.

mysql-common was left over as some other packages depended on it and that was causing the problem. Purging mysql-common (and the dependent packages) and then reinstalling resolved the issue.

Thanks a lot for your help.