Re: Mysql fails to install after "aptitude purge mysql-server --purge-unused"

> That line in the script reads:
>
> echo -e "# created by
> debconf\n[mysqld]\nold_passwords = $RET" >
> /etc/mysql/conf.d/old_passwords.cnf
>
> This does not seem to require that old_passwords.cnf exists
> beforehand.
> Is there still enough space on all the relevant partitions,

Yes, free space doesn't seem to be a problem, there's plenty of it.

> does the
> /etc/mysql/conf.d/ directory exist?

The "/etc/mysql" directory no longer exists, so no. As I remember the first time I tried to purge mysql the "/etc/mysql" directory wasn't purged as it had some files in it, so I removed it manually, I wanted a new, fresh, clean installation. That, perhaps, was the beginning of my downfall.

> Can you do this:
>
> touch /etc/mysql/conf.d/old_passwords.cnf

Nope, see above.

Basically I want a new, fresh, clean mysql installation. I want the old installation gone, completely, and that's why I used "purge" instead of   "remove".

Thanks