RE: cpu constantly busy on debian sid without doing anything...

I once saw a similar problem. I don't know if this is your case, but I
will explain what I did.

I checked everything from the hard drive with iostat to the memory, my
cpu was being hammered much like yours but nothing seemed to fess up to
doing it. I installed htop (http://htop.sourceforge.net/ also in the
repos for apt-get goodness) and then I had it display Kernel threads
(run htop at the command line and sort by cpu with F6 then Shift+K to
show Kernel threads). In my case it was kacpid that was chewing up my
cpu. So I edited grub to be acpi=off and it went away.

That was sometime ago, but a quick Google search shows that it still
happens to people on Debian and Ubuntu systems. I have no idea what
causes it.

Hope that helps!
~Stack~