Re: reboot problems

Kamaraju S Kusumanchi wrote:
Raj Kiran Grandhi wrote:

Gelonia L Dent wrote:
Dear Debian Users,

I am working on a diskless cluster which runs Debian 2.6.17. I rebooted
the machine and lost the ssh, dhcp, most shell commands and the NFS
filesystem . The system boots using GRUB. I've tried to restart all of
these daemons but with no success.
Did you reboot the master or one of the slave nodes? If you rebooted the
master, then you will have to reboot all the slave nodes also, if the
cluster is diskless.

Why? Would n't the image get updated automatically?

What happens when the nfs root filesystem disappears? Can linux recover? I don't know, but I guess the node can't really go on.

But, does a diskless setup have any real advantages given the low price of storage these days? IMHO it is much better to have a small disk in each node and have the node boot from its own disk. Let /, /boot and swap remain local to each node and nfsmount the rest. With systemimager and friends, it is not difficult at all to keep the nodes in sync.

raju

                                       -- Albert Einstein