Re: Debian on laptop

      http://everything2.com/title/Dell+Ubuntu+Laptop

> HTH,
> - Jordi G. H.

Hi, Jordi

 I am using a Dell Latitude D 520 with Debian/Etch and read your report with
interest.
I hope you don't mind a few questions.

You wrote:
While thinking about monitors, I spied another multimedia key on my keyboard.
It says "CRT/LCD". I presumed it would redirect output to an external CRT
monitor from my LCD one, so I tried it out. I plugged in an external monitor.
Nothing happened. I pushed that multimedia key. My LCD's resolution flipped
around a little, and adjusted itself to a resolution that would display on
the external monitor. The external monitor now was displaying the exact same
contents of my LCD monitor, albeit at a lower resolution. I unplugged it, hit
CRT/LCD again, and everything was back to the way it was.

Hah. So it works. This will be useful for when I take Iris for presentations
or for showing off stuff to my students that could complement my lessons.

    * Easy external monitor plugin support — check

Did you leave this monitor - beamer (I suppose, your external monitor was a
beamer for lectures) the way described above?

I was not satisfied, because I like to see the audience while talking and not
the writing on the wall behind me. So I had to adapt the xorg.conf of the
xserver. This now ist working fine, I get a clone of the LFP over beamer. But
I have problems playing video-DVDs and other formats like flv-files
downloaded from youtube (for instance Dr. Quantum). The beamer shows the icon
bar of kaffeine, but not the movie whereas on LFP I can see it.

Did you have the same problems and if so, how did you solve them?

Greetings

Bernd