Re: Which IM, blog and email service are best for debian users?

On Saturday 14 June 2008 06:32:59 pm Star Liu wrote:
> Hi Everyone, I'm sorry to ask this silly question here. I'm now using the
> microsoft live messenger, live spaces and hotmail as my IM, blog and email
> service provider, because i'm a windows user for a so long time. Two weeks
> before, I installed debian etch and lenny, and i like it very much. I'd
> like to get your opinions about which IM, blog and email services which
> suits debian best. Thanks!

There's no reason you can't use those services with Debian. Hotmail webmail
is, of course, OS-independent; Kopete and Pidgin have limited support for MSN
Messenger (as well as all the other popular IM protocols), and Emesene has
more full-featured support; I'm not sure about Live Spaces, as this is the
first I've heard of it, but if it's web-based and doesn't require ActiveX, it
will work fine with any OS.

If you're looking for things that are ideologically compatible with Debian's
mission statement, then Jabber would be your IM protocol (jabber.org and
GoogleTalk being the major providers here), Wordpress would be your blogging
engine, and any POP3/IMAP mail provider would work.

Lee