Re: Debian "etch" hardware compability list?

On Thursday 12 June 2008 21:19, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 06:34:36PM -0400, Andrew Reid wrote:

> >   I've googled around, but I haven't found a nice, compact source of
> >   all the info I want.  Is there such a thing?
>
> I haven't seen any list.  Since most people who get new hardware also
> want the lastest software, they go straight for testing or Sid.
>
> You are not most people.
>
> Technology seems to move pretty fast these days and hardware vendors
> seem to like to change things so that new hardware needs new drivers.
>
> Is there no way to get your hardware vendor to guarnatee availability of
> hardware for a set length of time?
>
> Do you have to buy new hardware?  i.e. would a skid of one-year-old
> off-lease boxes work for your cluster?

  I do try to include 2.6.18 compatibility in the spec, but
I'm part of a large organization, and our purchasing system
is focussed on low bidders.

  We also have security policies that probably disqualify
newer releases -- part of why we're "allowed" to run Debian
is it's stellar security effort.

  Older boxes is an interesting idea, I might pursue that.

  In the meantime, I have my own list of "known-to-work" devices,
I can expand on that.

				-- A.
--
Andrew Reid / reidac@bellatlantic.net