Re: OT: Laptop for College Bound Student?

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008 08:58:53 -0400
"Thomas H. George" <lists@tomgeorge.info> wrote:

Depending on when you need it, take a look at this:

http://www.everex.com/products/xt5300t/xt5300t.htm

And keep an eye for it to pop back up on Newegg. I paid ~$500 US for
mine (plus the $50ish for an extra 2 gigs of RAM, since 1 gig wasn't
enough) and it's been solid ever since. Despite the fact that it comes
with Windows Vista on it, it installs XP just fine, and it also runs
Etch with a little bit of tweaking (mainly for the sound and video
driver, oh and the wireless card.. Broadcom chipset). Or, if you don't
mind Ubuntu, Hardy Heron (8.04) installs on it absolutely perfectly,
only one line needs to be added to alsa-base to get the sound working
right, and then it's perfect. I have mine setup to boot between Debian,
Ubuntu, OpenBSD and XP. I'm not a college student, just a regular
working stiff, and I was wary of this little laptop until a co-worker
of mine picked one up and I saw with my own eyes it wasn't a piece of
crap.