Re: OT: Winmodems are soundcards Was: Laptop for College Bound Student?

On Thu, 2008-06-12 at 12:57 +0200, Misko wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 02:07:14PM -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:
> > What modem?  "Winmodems" aren't modems, they're sound boards with the
> > wrong audio connector.
>
> I have read something like this many times. What am I interested in
> is if I can make my regular soundcard force to behave like modem?

My understanding is this is exactly what the packet radio support in
Linux is for; amatuer radio operators exchanging packet data use the
sound card.

> What I have in mind is to connect phone line instead of one of
> the speakers and use that to connect to ISP. I was trying to find
> some info but failed (perhaps I was looking at wrong places).
> Is there a kernel module available that can turn soundcard into
> modem?

You might be able to do it with the packet radio support, but I imagine it'll be an uphill battle.

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca