Re: OT: Laptop for College Bound Student?

On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 08:23 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> The contrarian in me would buy him a course in shorthand instead.
> (I remember that the very act of hand-copying blackboard notes --
> while thinking about which were the most important -- most
> successfully burned information into my brain, and typing took too
> much focus away from other tasks.)

It varies from person to person.  I absorbed very little in high school
prior to salvaging an old i486 laptop with a broken battery (but a
working AC adapter) out of a bank dumpster¹ near my school:  I couldn't
keep up writing, and if I wrote shorthand, my notes never made sense
when I went back over them.  Meanwhile, I can type 110 WPM, so when
something actually key did come up, I could shoot that thought to file
and continue actively listening.

¹Yes, a bank dumpster.  I brought it to the bank's attention, they just
let me walk back out the door with it saying I could keep it.  It had
DOS, Windows 3.1 and an ancient copy of Microsoft Works installed, and
what I discovered to be an ID theif's treasure trove after running the
undelete command.  About a year later they got bought out by Wells
Fargo, go fig².

²I sued Wells Fargo and won after they let a family member not
authorized on my court-blocked account withdraw all my money without
permission, after they lost a bunch of records (such as court orders
blocking accounts) throwing them in a dumpster when they bought out the
original First Interstate Bank.

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca