Re: OT: Laptop for College Bound Student?

On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 08:58 -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:
> The college is offering packages starting at $1,399 (Dell Latitude D630)
> and $1,499 (Lenoveo ThinkPad T61) all with 2GB memory, 10/100/1000
> Ethernet, Wireless, 1394 Port, Bluetooth, Vista 32Bit Business OS,
> SmartCare/4in1 Media Card Reader and Microsoft Office 2007 Professional
> pre-installed by certified technicians located on campus.  Three year
> warranty and 1GB Flash Drive thrown in.
>
> Money is tight, of course.  If I were the student and there is a
> modest-priced laptop with Debian and OpenOffice I'd take it in a flash.
> I'm not the student, I'm his 79 year old grandfather and I don't want
> him to start off at a disadvantage.  There are certainly many college
> students and recent grads that subscribe to this list.  I would value
> your insights.

I've had extremely positive experiences with Budget Computers in the
past.  http://www.budcom.com/   They should be able to shave a few
hundred to a thousand off those prices if you're willing to settle for
two-years-ago's model.

--
Paul Johnson
baloo@ursine.ca