Re: OT: Laptop for College Bound Student?

On Wed, 2008-06-11 at 08:58 -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:
> The college is offering packages starting at $1,399 (Dell Latitude D630)
> and $1,499 (Lenoveo ThinkPad T61) all with 2GB memory, 10/100/1000
> Ethernet, Wireless, 1394 Port, Bluetooth, Vista 32Bit Business OS,
> SmartCare/4in1 Media Card Reader and Microsoft Office 2007 Professional
> pre-installed by certified technicians located on campus.  Three year
> warranty and 1GB Flash Drive thrown in.
>
> Money is tight, of course.  If I were the student and there is a
> modest-priced laptop with Debian and OpenOffice I'd take it in a flash.
> I'm not the student, I'm his 79 year old grandfather and I don't want
> him to start off at a disadvantage.  There are certainly many college
> students and recent grads that subscribe to this list.  I would value
> your insights.
>
> Tom

Tom,

There are two schools of thought on Laptops.  1.  Buy an expensive model
because it is built well and will last three years or more and your
friends will be impressed!  2.  Buy a the cheapest model that will do
the job, if it breaks you can replace it three to five times for the
price of the expensive one.

Guess which school of thought I belong to?  I own a Dell Vostro 1500.
Today you can get one with a (relatively slow) dual core intell proc
running at 1.4G, 2G of ram, intel video, 15.3" wide screen, (I think)
130G HD, DVD burner and it will run Linux, comes with XP or Vista, all
for just about $500 USD.

Like the Latitude, the Vostro is a business class machine (meaning they
are built to higher specs then similar consumer models).  The Latitude
has a Magnesium-alloy chassis, the Vostro has an alloy backed chassis.
Both of these things are good, it means the box will flex very little
while it is being carried around in a backpack.  See here for features:
(Compare Laptops)

http://www.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/notebooks?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

What we don't know is what kind of warranty does the Latitude come with?
You can get a very basic to a full, tech on site in 4 hours w/parts
warranty with both.  I am betting you can get full coverage direct from
Dell for much less (I don't know anything about the Lenoveo).  See here
for a price on a Latitude 630, $829 out the door, without onsite
service, one year warrenty:

http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx?c=us&cs=04&id=latit_d630&l=en&s=bsd&~tab=bundlestab

The Vostro 1500 with 2G right now goes for $549.  Both with windows XP
home, but you don't need anything more then that for school.  The XP
pro/Vista > home has networking features your Grandson just does not
need.  Both machines (and I assume the thinkpad) are perfectly adequate
for school use (and most other uses) and if the kid needs more OS, have
him install Linux.

As for the MS office installed, who cares?  You can run OO just fine on
win. I have a friend (who is a son of a friend) who just went through
school and he used my used laptops and ran ELive Linux on them and was
able to get everything done, no windows installed at all (that took a
few years of coaching my my side :)  ) <y used laptops where cheap ~$500
at time of purchase, I used them for three years, got a newer ~$500
laptop and gave the used one to him.  So, he was always using a 4 year
old technology box and it worked for his school needs.

Your grandson will resist this method, I suspect.  He will want to play
games, have "cool" things, etc etc.

HTH
--
Damon L. Chesser