Re: [OT] signing a pdf document

Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 14:30:18 -0500, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
Hi,

People I do business with want me to physically sign a contract that they send me as a small pdf (22K).

I use Adobe Reader to print it, I sign the printed copy and scan the result and send the jpeg image back: 3 pages totalling 891K!

That is ridiculous. Is that the way everybody signs a pdf document?

It is easy to scan your own signature and convert it into a compact
vector-based PDF that can be scaled without loss of quality. I doubt
that this constitutes a true signature in the legal sense, but it is
quite handy, for example to send "signed" documents directly to a fax
pseudo-printer.

To put the signature into an original document, e.g. into a PDF
registration form, I use Latex to superimpose the PDFs, as well as to
fill in any additional data that the form requires. I know no other
approach that preserves the full printing quality of the original PDF
while keeping the final PDF small.

I can post a simple example how to do this with Latex if you are
interested. However, it would be rather obvious from the quality of
latex-produced PDF that the original or contract has not been printed,
signed and rescanned, so maybe your business partners would not accept
such a PDF.

Please post, it would be cool. If anybody makes a fuss about receiving such a document, tell them you can add a blur-effect and a sprinkling of dots to the image and resend it if they want ... Better keep a ready-made pdf of some random black dots handy in case they actually say yes. Take the TIFF that is produced as intermediary file when sending faxes, and run it through some filter in GIMP, add the dots and away you go !

--
Håkon Alstadheim
47 35 39 38