Re: CC version conflicts--kernel vs nvidia driver

On Tuesday 10 June 2008 20:18:45 debian-user-digest-request@lists.debian.org
wrote:
> > I have nvidia's "proprietary" dirver 96.43.01 running well on my
> > Debian Sid. There is a bug in the opengl which will show up, for
> > example, rotating a piece in a jigsaw puzzle program, where areas
> > near the cursor are incorrectly painted. Their driver is up to
> > version .05 so I tried to install.
> >
> > Their .run complained about the gcc version. I noticed the
> > kernel-compiled .ko's will show a 4.1.3. Now I compiled that kernel
> > much more recently than that!!  Going ahead with the current 4.3.2!!
> > will produce and un-modprobable nvidia.ko. No --force option will
> > avail.
> >
> > Their instructions say set a CC environment variable. Anything I try
> > will then produce a complain that this "compiler" cannot produce
> > execs. I tried 4.1.3, gcc4.1.3, gcc-4.1.3 and such variations of the
> > current version to no avail.
> >
> > Since the kernel compile chose this older version, recompiling clean
> > will probably not help. What do I do to kludge this (I have sometimes
> > succeeded in editing vermagic stuff if the result had exactly the
> > same length but the gcc is not in this string.)
>
> The  following helped me:
>
> # cd /usr/bin
> # rm gcc
> # ln -s gcc-4.1 gcc
>
> After compiling the kernel module, you can redo the steps above with
> gcc-4.3, or you can leave it this way.

Worked fine. Actually, the kernel used 4.2 (the module I looked at, probably
no longer relevant, said 4.1). All's well.

I have nine (count 'em) gcc-'s from 2.95 to 4.3. Do I need all of these?